Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Masters Third Round Storylines

1. Will Phil Mickelson make a surge: Phil Mickelson came in to the Masters labeled as the favorite by many after winning last years tournament and the tournament before the Masters in Houston. Mickelson at -2 comes into the third round at the Masters 8 shots behind the leader and is tied for 20th place. Phil looked to be in pretty good position after the first round sitting at -2 with a round of 70 but he only shot a 72 in the second round. Mickelson blamed his struggles in the second round on his short game and putting, saying "I haven't made any putts. I've caught a lot of lips. My speed has been just a fraction off. Just too firm or in a lot of cases just too soft on these greens...Today I left a lot of shots out there that were not hard up-and-downs. You know, they were very doable. I missed a few four or five-footers there, but I expect to get those up-and-down. I didn't, I left a lot out there today. I can't afford this weekend to leave those shots out there." Mickelson only hit four fairways on Thursday but he putted well enough to shot a 70. On Friday Phil had a much better day from the tee hitting nine fairways. He also hit 13 greens in regulation, but he needed 33 putts. Mickelson will have to putt better in order to make a climb on the leaderboard and come within striking distance of the leaders for a chance on Sunday.

2. Will Lee Westwood finally break through at a major: Lee Westwood has finished in the top three of every major including last season when he finished in second at the Masters and the British Open. Westwood is once again in contention for a major, as he is sitting in seventh place and is only 5 shots behind the leader Rory McIlroy. Westwood knows better than anybody that five shots can slip away very quickly, saying, "I had a five shot lead going down 11 on Saturday last year and I was one behind about three quarters of an hour later, so I know better than anybody how quickly leads can evaporate." He is sitting in seventh place and is only 5 shots behind the leader Rory McIlroy. After shooting an even par in the first round, Westwood flew under the radar in the second round shooting a 5 under 67. Westwood said, "I feel like I've played my way right back into it and I was pleased that I didn't let my frustrations over the putting infiltrate my long game." Westwood will have to continue to play very well on the par fives like he did during the second round. Lee was five under on the par 5's including 3 birdies on 2, 5, and 8 and 1 eagle on 15. Westwood will try to shake a tag that Phil Mickelson once held for a while: The best player to not win a major.

3. Will Tiger Woods climb to the top of the leaderboard: Tiger Woods shot a second round 6 under 66 to bring him within three shots of the leader at -7. Woods began the day +1 through three holes. He managed to finish the front 9 with a one under par 35 and his birdies at the 8th, 9th, and 10th holes gave him momentum going into the back nine. Tiger birdied 5 holes including three straight from 13 to 15 to finish with a second round of 66. He said, "I played myself back in the tournament, I'm three back, and we have a long way to go." It has been a long time for Woods that he has played this well. Tiger's 66 was his best score at the Masters since 2005, and since that date he has only shot in the 60's four times. The question for Woods will be if he can maintain this level of play. At Dubai in Febuary, Woods shot a second round 66 but then shot a 72 and 75 over the weekend. At Bay Hill two weeks ago, Woods followed a 68 with a 72 and 74 over the weekend. When Woods was asked if he’s finally where he wants, Tiger replied, “There’s a long way to go.”

4. How will Jason Day follow up his second round: Jason Day is ranked outside of the top 40 and has 1 PGA tour win but his second round at the Masters was record breaking. Day shot an unbelievable 8 under par 64 including 8 birdies and no bogeys in the second round to put himself two strokes behind Masters leader Rory McIlroy in second place. On the 18th hole, Day hit a pitching wedge within 1 foot of the hole to finish the best round of his life. Jason hit 14 greens in regulation and tied 5 other players for the least putts in the round with 25. All 8 of Day’s birdies came within 15 feet including tap-ins on the 9th and 16th holes. Day said about his eight birdies, “Yeah, I have to tell you which holes I birdied the second hole, I hit my drive in the bunker there. I knew I had to lay up to like about 110. So I hit 7 iron out and hit a pretty good wedge shot in there and left it just above the hole to about five, six feet and I holed that putt. Then 7, I hit a really good drive down there and had about 115 yards wind was down off the right and I wanted to play just left of the pin and hit a good shot there. It was just a little bit short but I role in about a 15 foot putt there. 9, I blocked my drive right and was in the pine needles, if you've ever been on pine needles, it's like skating on ice, very, very slippery stuff. Rolled up to two feet which was nice. Then going onto 11, I tried to stay away from that pin because of what happened yesterday. I hit a good drive down the middle. Had 7 iron from about 178 and I just played it right of the hole and rolled it to about 15 foot and holed that putt. 13, 4 wood down the middle. I had 215 yards to that front pin. I just needed to get it in the middle of the green. I just wanted to get it so I could have a putt at it. Hit a hybrid up there and just cleared the water and two putted for birdie. 14, obviously pulled my drive and got lucky, went through the trees and hit a wedge shot to about 15 feet and holed that putt. 16, I shoved my 9 iron right and got lucky. I was just trying to play it ten foot left and I shoved it a little bit. That putt is probably one of the biggest putts I've ever had in my life. I just tapped it and it rolled and went dead center which was good. 18, I just knew I had to hit a good drive and smashed a drive down the middle and had 145 yards to the pin, a little downwind, hit wedge just past it and got lucky and rolled it down the hill and rolled it to about a foot.” Day matched the lowest second round score in Masters history and he shot the lowest second round of any first time participant in Masters history.  Jason said after his great round, “Obviously I had a great round today. I got a little bit of a slow start yesterday, but I came home strong today and I'm just looking forward to the next two days obviously. It's just really good experience.”


5. Will Rory McIlroy surrender his lead: After a first round 7 under 65, Rory McIlroy followed up his great first round with a solid 3 under 69 in the second round. McIlroy hit 10 out of 14 fairways and 15 out of 18 greens in his second round. McIlroy hasn't three putted a hole the entire tournament and only has one bogey through 36 holes. Rory is second in the field with a 302 driving distance at the Masters. Rory said, "I'm picking my spots. I know where to miss it. I'm playing smart. I'm trying to leave myself in the best possible position. Even if I don't like firing at a pin, I'll fire 30 feet away, take my two putts and play for par. That's basically what I've done all week because I've only made one bogey in 36 holes and that's what you need to do in major championships." He is leading the pack at the Masters through two rounds at 10 under par. McIlroy doesn't seem concerned about Tiger Woods or any other player sneaking up on him, saying, "If you start thinking about anyone else here, if you let your mind wander at all, it can cost you a couple of shots. I'll be focusing on my targets and focusing on where I want my ball to go on the greens, and that's all I can do. I don't really care what anyone else does. I don't need to know... It will be a great tournamnet if he's [Tiger Woods] up there. But I'm two shots ahead and I'm in a better position." McIlroy hasn't shown too many jitters thus far and he only had one bogey in his second round. His 10 under 134 is the lowest 36 hole score at the Masters since 2005. It will be McIlroy's first time in the final group during the weekend of the major and the question will be if the pressure will get to the super talented young player.

1 comment: