Monday, March 7, 2011

Cory Tell All Sports

Welcome to my blog, Cory Tell All Sports! Before you begin to read my posts and my sports analysis and opinion, you should know a little about me and the teams who I live and die with. Helping me on the blog with all my articles and expert analysis will be my brother Rory. (We seldom have the same opinions). You can follow my blog by joining the fan page on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cory-Tell-All-Sports/201558063212620 or by following me on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/ctallsports.

My love for the Colts goes back to their days in Baltimore where they won three championships in 58, 59, and 68 and one super bowl in 71. My dad and his father were die hard Colts fans when they lived in Baltimore. My dad also went to school down in Baltimore at Maryland Dental School. When my dad was only nine years old on his birthday on January 12, 1969, he had to watch Broadway Joe Namath and come through on his guarantee to defeat the heavily favored Colts in Super Bowl II with the New York Jets. Although I got my super bowl in 07 and the monkey off the back of Peyton, I had to go through the anguish of a super bowl loss to the Saints in 2010.

When I was a little kid, I went to Boston three times a summer on the way up to my camp in Maine. Each year I went to a Red Sox game and I have just fallen in love with Fenway Park. In 2001 when the Red Sox only finished three games over .500 I felt like the curse may never be broken. Not winning a championship since 1918 isn't the easiest thing for a young kid to handle. I've had so many great memories with the World Series in 04 and then again in 07. I remember the cake that my mom wouldn't let me eat although the Sox were up three games to zero and the score was 3 to 0. I also remember the happy birthday wish on the big screen at the Red Sox game for my 11th birthday. I can say that I have seen my beloved Sox's win two world series and not lose one world series game. After next season that record in World Series will hopefully be 12-0. My obsession over the Red Sox has also helped me outside of baseball. For example, I know that France declared war on Austria to begin the French Revolutionary Wars on April 20, 1792 because on the same day 20 years later Fenway Park opened.

My dad went to Lafayette undergraduate school and although I love my Leopards and hope they beat Bucknell in the Patriot League championship game to get into the tourney, my dad's dental school and the Maryland Terps is the team that I have followed since I was young. I was pretty lucky to be alive for the final four in 01 and the national championship in 02. Although since the title we have only had one sweet 16 appearance in 03, I am looking forward to having a run in the ACC tournament this year. The Maryland football team has somewhat had the same kind of story as the basketball team. In 2001, we only lost two games all season to Florida St. and then to Florida in the Orange Bowl, after going 5-6 the previous season. We haven't won any ACC championships since then but we are looking forward to Randy Edsall coming to the program.

I love the Devils because I know most of the players and coaches as many of them live in my town. The former coach of the Devils John Maclean is my dads friend and I know Brodeur and his kids. Although I was disappointed over the firing of Maclean and their early season struggles, I am happy they are beginning the play well and are only eight points out of the final playoff spot.

When I was in London with my family, I begged my parents to take me to a soccer game. There were no games in London at the time because of the international break but since there was no game I wanted a shirt. There were Chelsea shirts everywhere in the city and I fell in love with the Chelsea blue. Little did I know that Chelsea was owned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich. I feel like I am Chelsea's good luck charm as they have won the league three times since my trip to London in 04-05, 05-06, and 09-10. They also reached the Champions League final in 2008 and I think we all have seen Terry's slip in the penalty shoot-out vs who else but Manchester United.

My love for sports doesn't end there though.

I love James Blake as I have read his auto biography and fallen in love with his story. He overcame a broken neck, his father's death, and shingles, to be ranked as high as number 4 in 2006. He currently is ranked 164 in the world.

I have never been a big Tiger fan and I love to see the underdog stories at the majors. What is better than Y.E. Yang outplaying Tiger on the final day of the 2009 PGA championship or Louis Oosthuizen just destroying the field at the 2010 Open championship? I have always loved lefty, Phil Mickelson as well.

Although I don't have one favorite NBA team, I love to watch the association. I am not a LeBron hater (sorry) and I have love Stephen Curry ever since his days at Davidson.

Now you know all you need to know about me. By the way, don't worry I am not crying in the locker room after writing this post (Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra) 

4 comments:

  1. This may be the first sports blog I read that doesn't bore me to tears! Not to mention the first sports website I've ever bothered going on, ever.

    This is great writing Cory, I can't wait to read more!
    Miss you lots
    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your analysis on sports is spot on and I enjoy reading your opinion
    -Jay Bilas

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What is better than Y.E. Yang outplaying Tiger on the final day of the 2009 PGA championship or Louis Oosthuizen just destroying the field at the 2010 Open championship."

    Yay asians :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is Troy Edwards and I love sports. I love reading different people's analysis on sports. I am not joking when I say this, you should be on ESPN. You take sports talk a step deeper. You are a great writer and know everything there is to know about sports. Step aside Jim Rome, Jay Bilas, and Jeff Van Gundy, because Cory Tell is the knew best sports guy.

    ReplyDelete